The focus of my practice is to help your child understand how their body, their thoughts and their feelings work through:
- Self Regulation skills – learning how recognise and respond to sensory stimulation in the environment, understand how their thoughts and feelings affect them and how to stay in “the Green Zone” of feeling calm, relaxed, confident and ready to learn.
- Postural stability – postural muscle tone, balance, gross motor bilateral integration and crossing the midline skills.
- Fine motor skills for bilateral inhand separation skills and hand strengthen for pencil grip, control and cutting skills.
- Visual Perception and Visual Motor Integration
- Handwriting Skills – letter formation and writing skills
- Executive Functioning skills – focus attention, maintain concentration, follow instructions, plan,use working memory, increase processing speed. and organisational skills – important for the middle to upper primary school child and are good preparation for high school.
- Self care skills such as eating, sleeping, baby milestones, dressing, toileting and school readiness skills
I have specialised in the following areas of therapy:
- Bobath Neuro-developmental Therapy techniques (1999) help children with conditions such as Cerebral Palsy
- Sensory Integration Therapy (2006) and Sensory Intelligence Training (2016) which offer excellent self regulation strategies for children to improve their sensory modulation and motor planning
- The SOS Approach to Feeding (2009) aims to support children with complex feeding needs with an underlying sensory issues
- Behavioural Toileting programme (2009) for constipation difficulties and toileting fears and delays
- DIR/Floortime Approach (2011) for engagement and social play and communication skills
- Acceptance and Commitment Therapy training (2015) for cognitive strategies for emotional development
- Social Thinking Training (2015-2017) to learn how to be a Social Detective and keep your eyes, ears, and body in the group, recognise “cool” and “uncool” behaviours and learn social problem solving skills
- Co-developer and Founder of “The Wendyhouse” Mother and Baby stimulation classes (2002-2007) for a family centred approach to early childhood development.